Second XI Championship Somerset Second XI v Hampshire Second XI, September 14th-17th 2021, The Ageas Bowl (Nursery Ground), Southampton , Day 4 – Hampshire 186 All Out (A. Eckland 49, George Barlow 3/51) and 417 (Malik 171, A Eckland 67, Broderick 39, J Eckland 38, George Barlow 4/128), Somerset 171 (Greg Willows 52, George Bartlett 59, Khanna 3/22, Turner 3/40, Huntley 3/43) and 155 (Sam Young 41, Khanna 4/19). Hampshire winning by 277 runs.
So miracles don’t happen. Despite it being almost inevitable overnight the tiny bit of hope that Somerset’s tail could pull of something remarkable and provide a fitting end to SecondsWatch for 2021 was soon extinguished with a 277 run defeat. Let’s hope the result is reversed at Edgbaston tomorrow morning.
Sam Young, Somerset’s last slim hope, was the first to depart adding only 9 runs to his overnight 32. He was soon followed by fellow overnight batsman Luke Pearson-Taylor for 8 (bowled Khanna), leaving Harry Robbins and Jack Pierce to see out the season. Jack being the last man out for 14 leaving Jack Pierce on 0 not out. In defeating Somerset Khanna was the best of the Hampshire bowlers with match figures of 7/41.
Somerset North has always believed that the primary role of the Second XI competition is developmental, so, to end Seconds Watch for 2021 let’s briefly call to mind some of the personal successes that second XI team members have enjoyed this season:
- Jamie Rew representing the England County Select XI v India – and taking his 1st first class stumping to remove the obdurate Pujara;
- George Thomas, Jamie Rew and Sonny Baker’s selection for the England U19 team series West Indies:
- 1st X1 Championship debuts for Lewis Goldsworthy, Kasey Aldridge and Ned Leonard;
- Ben Green captaining both the 2nd XI and the Royal London One Day Cup: Ben Green;
- 50 over debuts for George Baker, Jamie Rew, Sam Young, George Thomas and Sonny Baker alongside Aldridge, Goldsworthy and Leonard
Well done and thank you to all those mentioned above and the other young Somerset Academy players still learning their game, plus all the newcomers to the side who we have called out on their debut games.
It has been a great privilege to contribute the #SecondsWatch articles to the Somerset North blog and it is my hope that these reports have inspired you to follow Second XI cricket more closely and perhaps we will see you up at ‘The Vale’ next year. Winter well. Mike.